Danfoss has enhanced its existing portfolio of low- and high-power AC drives by offering the new VACON® 3000 – a robust, reliable, easy-to-integrate solution for medium-voltage applications.
Energy-saving awareness is growing in industries such as Mining, Marine, Oil & Gas, Energy and Metals which increases the use of both low voltage and medium-voltage drives. The brand-new, definite-purpose, modular drive solution brings high performance to the medium-voltage (MV) applications that are commonly found in such industries. The kind of applications we are talking about are similar to those found in the low-voltage drives market, but they have a greater need for power. Applications like propulsion, pumps, blowers, fans, conveyors, ball mills, compressors, extruders, mixers, centrifuges, excavators, test stands and soft starters for large DOL motors, for example.
Complete customization of enclosure
The VACON® 3000 is a modular drive solution that is designed to meet the specific needs of industrial applications with motor voltages of 3300 or 4160 Volts. It enables the complete customization of the enclosure to serve the unique needs of a variety of applications, including those with limited space and in harsh conditions. It is currently available in a power range between 2 MW and 6 MW.
As an easy-to-integrate drive solution, the VACON® 3000 features:
- A simplified pre-charge unit design: a compact solution for space-sensitive applications that needs no pre-charging resistors and limits the inrush current for fast, safe start-up
- Flexible front-end configuration options, including a diode front-end (DFE)-based 12-pulse configuration, and an active front end (AFE) option for regenerative braking and low harmonics
- A familiar, fully graphical user interface (the same one as the VACON® 100 INDUSTRIAL drive) for faster setup and use, and with the latest technology built in and a wide choice of control options
- Passive components for the drive system, including L, C and common mode filters for AFE variants, DC chokes for 12-pulse variants and output dU/dt and sine filters
- Simple to build in, easy-to-handle inverter units that are compact, robust, and liquid-cooled – making the VACON® 3000 ideal for adverse ambient conditions. Single-phase modules with a grounded heatsink simplify the solution’s serviceability
Additionally, modules can be connected in parallel to provide the user and system integrator with design flexibility.
Find out more about the possibilities available with the flexible, modular, robust medium-voltage VACON® 3000 by watching this video:
Partnerships yield individual solutions and optimal service
In order to achieve the system customization required by unique customer solutions, Danfoss will work closely with experienced system partners in a highly specialized Medium Voltage Partner network – the MVP Program. This ensures that customers receive high-quality systems that meet specific system design requirements, as well as the highest levels of support in planning, construction, commissioning, and maintenance. You can read more about the MVP Program here.
Danfoss also supplies ready-made cabinet design templates for partners, allowing them to provide deeper system integration than ever before.
Danfoss provides this reference cabinet design to partners for use as a template for their designs. It utilizes the VACON® 3000 concept to create a compact and service-friendly MV drive. Based on the Rittal TS8 enclosure system, it ensures that components are globally available. Dedicated variants for IEC and UL markets are available, based on the same concept.
“We are extremely excited to introduce the VACON® 3000. This solution goes beyond the common pre-packaged medium-voltage drive products on the market today and provides a modular, fully customizable, high-value solution for system integrators and OEMs,” explains Dan Isaksson, head of medium-voltage drives at Danfoss.
“As a leader in AC drives, Danfoss has now expanded its portfolio to include a wide range of reliable drives solutions – including definite-purpose drives tailored to meet application- and segment-specific needs. With this product, system integrators can better serve the needs of our end-user customers.”
You can read more about the new era of modular medium-voltage drives here.
Author: Jonas Forsberg, Global Product Marketing Manager, Danfoss Drives